MIDTERM NEXT WEEK!!!
*** QUIZ *** HANDOUTS ***
will send out slides
Intel process (cycle)
- steps or stages in intelligence from policymakers perceiving a need for information to the community’s delivery of an analytical intellifence product to them (Lowenthal)
- 5 major steps
- ID requirements (planning, direction)
- processing and exploitation
- analysis (production)
- Lowenthal: 2 extra steps
- analogous for planning and direction
- shoulg reflect policy priority
- plms associated w/divide
- reqs gap: what can IC do?
- why bad?
- other issues
- competing priorities
- DNI too removed from process?
- criticality of resources
- “priority creep”
- determined by priorites & reqs
- affected by budget, resources (trends toward tech)
- more = better?
- pref for intel may depend on perspective
- info is raw, must be processed, made usable
processing & exploitation
- downstream activities
- collection (volume) much greater than PE
- PE more “inhouse”
- poor PE more likely to lead to error/fail?
intel analysis & production
- current v longterm
- competetive analysis downsides
- analysts are not intellectual ciphers (human beings)
dissemination, consumption, feedback
- get the word out; executive products
- what q’s does IC ask itself
- dissemination issues (schedule, feedback)
- requirements gap
- hidden factor