Jan 28: remove Zimbabwe reading Rottberg NOT REQUIRED
paper outline: 1 page (physical) due FRIDAY!!!
African troops in WWII (compulsory/voluntary mix):
- horn & N. Afr
- FR 80k (up to 25% losses)
- UK 280k
- also fought in JP, BU, EU
- War vets
- raised political consciousness
- began questioning white supremacy
- JP nearly defeated whites
- discovered poor whites for first time, socialism
- questioned colonial powers @ war’s end
Atlantic Charter (1941)
- FDR & Church
- UN 1945
- snowball effect
- only way to hold on?
- if peaceful?
- if violent?
- export concentration
- primary commodities
- terms of trade
- import substitution
- informal economy
1/3 of Africans live in cities, projected growth to 50%
70% of urban Africans live in slums