I’m not personally vegan, but I do enjoy plenty of vegan dishes and many of my baked goods tend to be sans animal products. Since I’ve been asked for this recipe a few times now, I’ll just put it here.
- 1½ C 100% whole wheat flour
- 1½ C white cane sugar
- ½ C + 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ t baking powder
- ¾ t salt (I use NoSalt)
- ¼ t cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ¼ t cardamom
- ¼ t coriander
- ¾ C unsweetened black coffee (room temperature)
- ¾ C olive oil
- ¾ t vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- Pour in coffee, olive oil and vanilla; mix until thoroughly blended. If batter clumps, add more coffee 1 T at a time until it smooths out again. Note: this will increase bake time by a few minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9×9 inch baking pan.
Optional: lightly sprinkle chopped nuts, wheat germ, etc on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes on an above-center rack (to avoid scorching the bottom), until the top is no longer shiny. Add maybe 5 minutes or so if you added liquid in step 3, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting (25-30 minutes if frosting).
These are supposed to be moist and gooey inside, and you may need to use a spatula or fork to get them out of the pan in one piece. Do not substitute Splenda for the sugar unless you enjoy chewing on rubber floor mats. Trust me on this.