NOT IN BIOSCI 103!!! IN HEALTH 140!!
*** SYLLABUS ***
Basic overview, 4 branches of ATH
the 4 questions
- why do human beings differ in their beliefs and behaviors?
- Is it possible to see the world thru te eyes of others?
- How can meaning that others find in experience be interpreted and described?
Why do human beings differ in their beliefs and behaviors? Culture
- shared, socially learned body of beliefs, knowledge and patterns of behavior
- the systematic study of a people, using participant-observation, interview, recording of life histories and other narratives
what is participant-obs?
- learn language
- take up residence
- ask quesstions and atempt cultural activities
- stay for extended periods (9mos)
- keep notes
how can meaning that others find in experience be interpreted and described? ethnography
- systematic report about a people
- takes written form
- in major part based on field research
- after that, other sources can be consulted